Every now and again I get questions about how I manage or maintain my hair.. I’ll admit to being a bit hair obsessed but these days my hair care routine is pretty consistent and simple for the last two years.
I wash my hair just about every week sometimes I may stretch as long as 2 weeks but that is a very rare occasion.
On my wash days I
1. Pre poo – Load my hair up with coconut or olive oil
Both coconut and olive oil have been proven to prevent protein loss from the hair. Adding them before the shampoo means the hair is less stripped
2. Shampoo – I’m really not too picky about shampoos. Some are definitely better than others. I tend to change shampoos at will and keep a mental note of the ones that I don’t like. I’m not picky about sulfates in my shampoos although I know a lot of naturals are.
Some Shampoos I like are
Phytonectar- bought from Puresourcebarbados.com
IC fantasia Frizz buster Shampoo bought at No1 Beauty supply
Giovanni Deep moisture shampoo – Natures discount
Creme of Nature Detangling Shampoo
3. I deep condition my hair with a hair mask or a treatment. Some of my favourites have been
Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Pak
Aveda Dry Remedy Moisturizing Treatment Masque
Phyto Karite Ultra Nourishing mask
And if a deep conditioner isn’t giving me all that I need I generally stir in an oil of my choice for a better experience.
4. I use a leave in conditioner.
I only have one recommendation. With out a doubt the only leave in conditioner I feel confident recommending is the Giovanni Direct Leave-in. This is a water based moisturiser which instantly detangles and moisturises my hair. I’ve only been able to find this product in Natures Discount in Barbados
5. I add an oil on top of my leave in. I’ve used coconut oil and olive oil at this stage but I confess that I can’t stand to smell it in my hair during the day. I prefer to use grapeseed oil or jojoba.
I almost always let my hair air dry in large granny plaits. It just makes it easier for me to style.
These days I have taken to wearing my hair in two large french braids, stretched out fro, or a chunky shrunken fro.
I wear all of these styles to work, depending on my mood.
There are other products I rotate into my routine as I feel necessary such as hot oil treatments and homemade leave ins but these are the staples.
What is your hair routine?
Do you have any favourite products?
Until next post.