Ever had one of those moments when a person simply has no retort. when the only thing I am capable of doing is staring in baffled amazement, making a half-smile and going ‘Say What?’
I’ve had a number of these over the years as it relates to natural hair and as I look back I find them all pretty funny.
1. How you does comb that? (accompanied by a look of disdain)
2. You know sometimes wearing natural hair just isn’t appropriate for every occasion.
3. So what happened to your head? Are you going to comb it
4. For a light-skinned girl you got some real hard/nappy hair though
5. Since you work around so many Europeans you should be careful about going natural, they don’t like black people to look too militant. You already have a broad nose and thick lips.
6. You should let me give you a texturiser.
7. You should use this special product and it will give you curls. (my hair is 4c, there have never been any curls in this afro.)
These days these type of comments amuse me but I will admit there was a point in time that they did phase me and lead me to wonder what was wrong with my hair. Natural afro hair is a lot more popular these days than it used to be and I find in general persons are more supportive of it so I don’t encounter this as much.
In general though if you want to go natural, be weary of these comments, research communities online that will give you support and don’t let these things phase you.
Do people ever say strange things to you about your hair?
Until next post.